Board of Directors
In addition to being a top-notch group of dedicated volunteers, a majority of SAIL's Board of Directors experience a disability. They are members of communities throughout Southeast Alaska, big and small, with diverse interests and backgrounds. Each is committed to SAIL's mission of Inspiring Personal Independence and our vision of inclusive, accessible, barrier-free communities for all ages and abilities.
Board meetings are generally held on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 5:45 p.m. Public participation is encouraged. Outlying areas or interested individuals have the option to call into the board meeting via teleconference. Contact any SAIL office for more information.
For more information on becoming involved with our Board of Directors or to send a message to the board, please contact the Executive Director or send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here's a little more about each member:
Kate Burkhart, ChairJuneau
- Alaskan since 2001, serving those experiencing disabilities, poverty and insecurity.
- Public interest lawyer by day, volunteer public radio DJ by night.
Elizabeth Spence, Vice ChairJuneau
Board Member Since 2012
Experience in Nonprofit, Grant Management, and Reporting
Serves on SAIL Finance and Strategic Planning Committee
Long-time Pal of Joan OKeefe (so much so she officiated my wedding)
Disability Rights Advocate, Individual with a Disability
Care provider for Individual with a Disability
Loves Plants - Aspiring Master Gardner
Awed by Dragonflies
Alaskan since 1998 - Juneauite since 2001
Suzanne Williams, SecretaryKetchikan
Married 43 years to Joe Williams, 6 children, 5 grandchildren
46 year resident of Alaska, 18 years in Anchorage, 28 years in Ketchikan
Board member of SAIL for 10+ years, Board member for Opportunity House for 5 years, former Board member for Community Connections for 8 years, former Board member for Ketchikan Youth Football League for 4 years.
Raised two children with developmental disabilities
Small Business owner, Kah Too` Oot Creations (Beading, moccasins, sewing, knitting and other handcrafts)
Hobbies include gardening, reading and handwork
Mary Gregg, TreasurerKetchikan
- Parent of an awesome young woman who experiences a disability
- Opportunity House, Board President
- Former (or Previous) SAIL Board President (or chair)
- Former KTOO board member
- Current member, state vocational rehab committee
- AWARE, Board Member
- Juneau Affordable Housing Commission, board member
- Senior Citizens Support Services Inc. Juneau Assisted Living Task Force, member
- Douglas Island Neighborhood Association, board member
- Former AWARE Board Member
- Former Gustavus Councilman
- Gustavus Fire Department Volunteer
- Former SAIL Staff and Person with a Disability
- Enjoys the Great Outdoors
- Is a "hack" homesteader - woodsman, carpenter, fisherman, gardner, hunter, mechanic...
- Juneau NAMI past Board President
- CBJ ADA Committee Member
- SAIL Consumer Advocate of the Year, 2012
- Juneau Low Vision Support Group Co-Host
Jason C. BurkeJuneau
SAIL Board member since 2014, and is on the Board Development Subcommittee.
Served as State ADA Coordinator for the State of Alaska from 2007-2014.
Experience coordinating programs for public assistance, workforce development, and civil rights compliance.
Serves on the Local Emergency Planning Committee as an alternate for the vulnerable populations seat.
Member of the Rainforest Recovery Center Advisory Board for Bartlett Regional Hospital.
Enjoys hiking, aviation, boating and travel.
Adores his wife and toddler son.
Has lived in Alaska since 1999, and moved to Juneau in 2000.
- Volunteer Firefighter
- Volunteer Co-op Preschool
- Volunteer Adaptive Recreation
- Occupational Therapist